Monday, August 9, 2010

Circle of Life

"Aging is often called an "uphill battle," but that phrase appeals to runners-we love hills, even when we hate them, because they make us strong."

As I approach my 35th birthday I have become so aware of my aches & pains, sprouting gray hairs and wrinkles that stretch beyond my smile line. A few years ago I could lace up my running shoes and go out for a 5 mile run without thinking of warming up, stretching or even cooling down. Now if I tried to do that I would throw my back out. I have been somewhat depressed about the thoughts of reaching my mid-30s. I keep seeing the end of my running "career" as more wrinkles set on my face. The after dinner brownie now sits days on my stomach and if I splurge, I might as well throw my running shoes out the door. So, how do we embrace the inevitable signs of aging with a positive reflection of where we have been and where we are going?

Just so happens there is an article this month in my Runner's World Magazine about aging. I thought this paragraph was perfect for where I want to be when it comes to slower PR times, more wrinkles and sagging skin...

"It is the runner in me who will age gracefully. It is the runner in me who understands that the beauty of my body is in the things it can do, not the way it looks doing them. The runner in me understands that lines come from laughing on long runs and smiling into the sun. The runner in me is grateful for strong legs to carry me across finish lines. It is the runner in me who can make peace with her body and the passage of time." RW, Sept. 2010

Even though I might fight some of the aging process; at the end of day, I am blessed to be where I am in life. I will continue to run until I am dragged off the course, I will not look behind but look forward...I will make peace with the aging process while in motion...

2 comments:

This is a good post and I learn more thing on it. Nice one!!!

mizuno wave
 
I guess you have created a few really fascinating points. Not as well many others would really think about this the way you just did. I am really impressed that there is so much about this subject that has been revealed and you did it so nicely, with so considerably class. Brilliant one, man! Truly wonderful things right here.
extreme fitness
fitness unlimited
fitness instructor insurance
fitness resource
 

Post a Comment